Golf

/ News

  • Golf

Dyson relieved to avoid ban for rule breach

ESPN staff
January 15, 2014 « First foal of Frankel born | Chartbeat test »
Simon Dyson was disqualified from the event © Getty Images
Enlarge

Simon Dyson has revealed he is glad to have avoided being banned for a breach of rules during last year's BMW Masters.

Rise of the 59: Will Europe join the party?

Jorge Campillo and Colin Nel pose for the cameras © Getty Images
  • As some of golf's leading lights return to the European Tour at the HSBC Championship in Abu Dhabi, Jamie Kennedy analyses whether 2014 will be the year we finally witness a 59 this side of the pond.
  • Click here to read more

Dyson was given a two-month suspended ban from the European Tour and slapped with a fine of £30,000 plus costs for tapping down a spike mark illegally at the event last October and failing to card a two-shot penalty to his round.

He was disqualified from the event and found guilty, but avoided an immediate ban. And set to play for the first time since the hearing in December at this week's HSBC Championship in Abu Dhabi, Dyson has spoken of his relief to be back playing on the greens.

"I've got my love back for the game," he told BBC Sport. "There was a good chance that golf might have been taken away from me for a couple of months if the panel had seen it differently. I don't think you can get a worse time really. It wasn't very nice. In the last two years I've not really enjoyed my golf and then to have it all topped off by that was pretty low."

And Dyson admitted he will be "very careful" to avoid such an incident again. "There was never any intent to gain an advantage. I've never done it in the past and I'll never do it in the future. I'm just going to be very careful from now on, make sure I'm on the ball and be very professional about everything I do," he said.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close