- Royal Trophy
Asia on verge of Royal Trophy defence
Asia are within three-and-a-half points of retaining the Royal Trophy after they shared the spoils with Europe in the fourballs on Saturday.
With a 3-1 advantage after the foursomes on Friday, the pair from Thailand of Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Thongchai Jaidee secured a 2&1 victory over Scots Paul Lawrie and Stephen Gallacher to extend Asia's lead.
Royal Trophy Scoreboard - Day 2
- Fourballs, Asia listed first:
- Thongchai Jaidee and Kiradech Aphibarnrat beat Paul Lawrie and Stephen Gallacher 2&1
- Liang Wen-chong and Wu Ashun halved with David Howell and Marc Warren
- Ryo Ishikawa and Hiroyuki Fujita lost to Thorbjorn Olesen and Bernd Wiesberger 2&1
- K.T.Kim and H.S.Kim halved with Nicolas Colsaerts and Alvaro Quiros
- Overall score: Asia 5-3 Europe
Europe, led by Ryder Cup-winning captain Jose Maria Olazabal, only had one win on Saturday courtesy of Bernd Wiesberger and Thorbjorn Olesen, up against Ryo Ishikawa and Hiroyuki Fujita. Kim Hyung-sung and Kim Kyung-tae were close to giving Asia the three-point cushion in the last match of the day, but were pegged back by Alvaro Quiros and Nicolas Colsaerts to snatch a half.
And the strong day for Asia means they require three-and-a-half points from Sunday's eight singles matches to retain their crown at the Dragon Lake Golf Club in Guangzhou.
Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.