Racing offer Sexton new four-year deal
August 22, 2014
Jonathan Sexton has played 48 times for Ireland © Getty Images
Jonathan Sexton has been offered a new four-year contract with Racing Metro, according to the French side's joint coach Laurent Labit.
Sexton is currently weighing up where to spend next season as he tries to choose between an extension with Top 14 heavyweights Racing or a return to his native Ireland. His current deal with Racing ends in June next year and his former province Leinster have already said they would welcome him back with open arms.
Racing have now moved to offer Sexton a lengthy contract which would see him play out the rest of his prime years in Paris. But with the World Cup looming next autumn and a young family to consider, Sexton could yet opt for a return to Ireland.
"He is thinking it over, we have discussed it with him," Labit said. "In his hands he has a proposal for a further four years with Racin."
"The deal is simple - either he extends and finishes his career here or he returns to Ireland. This is what he has to think about. But we know him, he's OK with it.
"Of course, there are other elements involved. He has a child and he has to go away and discuss it with his wife.
"We hope he stays. Like he says, his son was born here and in 20 years he could be France's fly-half."
Sexton, who has 48 Ireland caps, arrived at Racing in 2013 from Leinster and signed a two-year contract worth an estimated €700,000 (£560,000) a year.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Michael Carrick has backed Radamel Falcao to hit the goal trail and spearhead Manchester United's title charge
England's determination to continually overlook batsman Kevin Pietersen is "ludicrous", according to former Australia international Matthew Hayden
Bojan Krkic's father has revealed the difficulties the forward had at Barcelona but assured reporters that he is enjoying life at Stoke City
Amir Khan has vowed to travel to Pakistan to show his support for the families of those killed by the Taliban in the army school massacre last week
Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal has confirmed the signing of Northampton star Samu Manoa on a four-year deal