Szarzewski ready for action after injury lay-off
August 21, 2014
Dimitri Szarzewski missed last season's Top 14 play-offs and France's tour to Australia © Getty Images
France hooker Dimitri Szarzewski is desperate to return to rugby after four months out with a serious ankle injury.
The Racing Metro captain has been out of action since March after damaging a tendon, missing last season's Top 14 play-offs and France's June tour to Australia.
He was forced to sit on the sidelines last weekend as his Racing team-mates kicked off their Top 14 campaign with a narrow 19-16 victory away to Montpellier, but the 31-year-old has targeted Saturday's clash with Bordeaux as a possible date for his return.
"It's been just over four months since I had my operation and I think I'm just about on track," Szarzewski told Rugbyrama. "Everything went well during my rehab. I wanted to stay in touch with the team during the play-offs and I also wanted to be there for the first game of the season.
"I was back on the pitch last week, and was able to take part in full training with the squad on Monday, which was very pleasing.
"I was disappointed to miss the play-offs last season, but I was lucky that I got injured very close to the end of the season and two months without competition. It's easier when there isn't a game.
"For my first game back I think I've got about 30-40 minutes in my legs. Of course we'll have to wait and see how I feel after the first moments on the pitch. It depends on what the coaches want to do though."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
Debutant Keegan Brown survived a determined fightback from John Part to claim victory in the opening match of the World Darts Championship
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has confirmed that Jay Rodriguez has suffered a setback in his recovery from injury
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has denied reports of a bust-up between his former assistant Roy Keane and midfielder Tom Cleverley
Mario Balotelli has been banned for one match and fined £25,000 pounds after sending an offensive message on social media, the FA has confirmed
Former England batsman Kevin Pietersen hit 66 from 46 balls on his debut for the Melbourne Stars and then said he hoped the national selectors were watching