Duo charged with machete attack
July 23, 2014
Aurelien Rougerie was hospitalised following the attack © Getty Images
French police have charged two men with the machete attack on three of Clermont's players.
Aurelien Rougerie, Julien Pierre and Benjamin Kayser were set upon by 10 men who were brandishing machetes and knives as they left a nightclub in Millau in the early hours of Sunday morning. The trio were hospitalised but Rougerie and Kayser were released on Sunday while Pierre required surgery on the cuts he sustained to his hip.
Five men were detained on Tuesday by French officials and two have since been charged with "aggravated and premeditated group violence using arms," according to Yves Delperie, the local prosecutor. Delperie added: "They were recognised by witnesses and the victims."
According to AFP, the pair both had previous police records with the 20-year-old previously charged with extortion and the 21-year-old for drugs offences.
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Communication error please reload the page.
David De Gea says the praise he received following his outstanding performance in Manchester United's 2-1 win against Everton earlier this month sent shivers down his spine
Jordan Henderson says Liverpool can beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeu despite Wednesday's 3-0 Champions League defeat at Anfield
Manchester United have announced that Louis van Gaal has offered former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes the chance to complete his rehabilitation from injury with the club
George Groves will defend his WBC silver super-middleweight title against Denis Douglin on the undercard of Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew's domestic grudge match in Liverpool on November 22
Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock has been charged with misconduct by the FA for his comments following the 2-1 home defeat to Chelsea on Saturday