Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Transfer News

City claim Mangala signing video a result of hacking

ESPN staff
July 25, 2014 « Wenger: Pep talk saved Ramsey's career | Day 6: Maria Ho eliminated, 68 left »
Eliaquim Mangala has been linked with a £32m move to Manchester City © Getty Images
Enlarge

Manchester City have denied that they have signed FC Porto centre-back Eliaquim Mangala despite a video being released on the club's official website showing the player arriving for a medical.

Mangala has been a long term target for the club and is reportedly set to follow the same path as midfielder Fernando, who joined City earlier this summer. However, a spokesman at Manchester City claimed their system was hacked and no deal has yet been finalised.

"The video was leaked," said the spokesman. "The deal is not done or officially confirmed on our website."

The video - which has been removed from the site - shows Mangala at City's training ground in Carrington where he addressed supporters ahead of the new season.

"I am here to help the team win titles, the league, the cup and the Champions League," said Mangala. "I am ambitious and this is why I am here."

The clip also included the caption: "City's newest signing en route to his medical," as the player disembarked a private jet before meeting with club officials.

Mangala was spotted in Manchester earlier this month although the proposed £32 million transfer is believed to be being held up by third-party fees.

It is not the first time this year a Premier League club has claimed to be hacked online. Tottenham were also caught up in a media gaffe back in March, after a clip mocking Liverpool's title run-in was released on the club's official twitter account.

City's neighbours Manchester United also endured an embarrassing online error as their new club shirt was sold at the wrong price on the official website.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close