Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Liverpool insist Suarez will stay put

Mike Whalley and ESPN Staff
June 23, 2014 « Milan vice-president claims Balotelli is not irreplaceable | WILL TEST Rashid's burst takes Yorkshire top »
Luis Suarez signed a new long-term deal with Liverpool last December © Getty Images
Enlarge

Liverpool insist Luis Suarez will stay at the club amid reported interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Both clubs are preparing bids for the striker, according to Spanish media, but sources have told ESPN that Liverpool are not resigned to losing the striker after he told manager Brendan Rodgers at the end of last season that he was committed to the club.

Neither Suarez nor his representatives have given Liverpool any indication that the Uruguay international wants to leave Anfield.

Suarez's new contract - which he signed last December and runs until 2018 - does include a release clause, although sources refused to confirm claims that a £65 million bid is the trigger.

Reports have suggested that Suarez could be interested in a move to Barcelona, as his wife's family live just 15 miles away in nearby Castelldefels.

But Liverpool have had no approach from Barca, despite being in contact with them in recent weeks to register an interest in Alexis Sanchez. So far, there has been no bid from Real Madrid either.

Having completed a 10-match suspension last September for biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a Premier League match, Suarez scored 31 goals as Liverpool finished runners-up to champions Manchester City, and won all three major domestic Footballer of the Year awards.

Suarez has recovered from a knee injury to make a significant impact at the World Cup, scoring both of Uruguay's goals in the 2-1 Group D victory over England in Sao Paulo last Thursday.

A version of this article first appeared on ESPN FC

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close