Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Transfer news

Porto hold up Fernando's City move

ESPN Staff and Richard Jolly
June 11, 2014 « Kevin Pietersen slams newspaper 'lies' over ECB gifts | WILL TEST Rashid's burst takes Yorkshire top »
Fernando joined Porto in 2007 © Getty Images
Enlarge

Fernando is waiting for Porto to finalise his long-awaited transfer to Manchester City and expects to sign for the Premier League club this week, his agent says.

City first bid for midfielder Fernando, who is likely to cost around £16m, at the end of the January transfer window. Although a deal could not be completed then, City have renewed their interest in the player.

Now a deal is close to being completed, with Fernando ready to have his medical in England. "Everything is in Porto's hands and we hope to finalise the transfer by the end of the week," Fernando's agent Antonio Araujo told Portuguese website Maisfutebol.

"Fernando is waiting for Porto to tell him their decision about the documents they have received so that he can travel immediately [to Manchester]."

The signing of Fernando could allow Pellegrini to sell or loan out Jack Rodwell, who barely featured in an injury-hit season last year.

Brazilian-born Fernando is a naturalised Portuguese citizen, meaning City would not require a work permit to sign him. He is not at the World Cup after he was ignored by Brazil and ruled ineligible to represent Portugal, having appeared for Brazil in the 2006 under-20 World Cup.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close