Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Mirallas: World Cup too soon for Januzaj

ESPN staff
April 26, 2014 « Rutherford's jump was illegal, says rival Tomlinson | Test Wayin World Cup »
Adnan Januzaj has decided to play for Belgium at international level © Getty Images
Enlarge

Kevin Mirallas believes this summer's World Cup could come too soon for Adnan Januzaj, following the Manchester United youngster's decision to play for Belgium.

Belgium coach Marc Wilmots revealed Januzaj's choice earlier this week, despite the 19-year-old also being eligible for Serbia, Albania, Kosovo and Turkey. He was also linked with England although he would have had to wait until he qualified through residence.

Januzaj's agent Dirk de Vries has already admitted that his client has been given no guarantees over his selection for Brazil.

And while Everton star Mirallas welcomes Januzaj's decision to play for Belgium, he feels that Euro 2016 is more likely to be the teenager's maiden international tournament.

In quotes translated by the Guardian, Mirallas told Belgian television station RTBF: "It's good for Belgium because he is a very good player.

"Now, like a lot of people have said, he may not deserve to come to Brazil with us because he does not know the group and he has not played much for Manchester United in recent months.

"In his position there are some very good players and it will be very difficult. He has yet to show he is a No. 1 for his club. For him, Euro 2016 is within reach."

Mirallas has been ruled out for the rest of Everton's season with a groin problem but is still expected to be named in Wilmots' World Cup squad.

The forward revealed that he initially feared his chances of playing in Brazil were over after picking up the injury, but he is now confident of recovering as he completes his rehabilitation under renowned physiotherapist Lieven Maesschalck.

"In England, at first they thought I could not play in the World Cup. I was a bit dejected but when I returned to Belgium on Wednesday, I redid the tests and I'm relieved," he said.

"It was confirmed that I was out for three to four weeks. I will work well and I'll be there. I thought the first week would be quiet and I just have a few treatments to follow.

"But I'm already in the process of rehabilitation and we will now work hard with Lieven Maesschalck. It is not easy but it is necessary. "

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close