• Transfer News

Schalke 'convinced' Draxler will stay

ESPN staff
February 17, 2014 « Norwich chief hints at managerial change | Chartbeat test »
Julian Draxler's future is still far from clear © Getty Images
Enlarge

Schalke are giving Arsenal mixed messages over the future of Julian Draxler after general manager Horst Heldt stated he is confident no sale will be sanctioned this summer.

Draxler, who has a £37 million buyout clause, was an Arsenal target this January, but the Gunners turned to the injured Kim Kallstrom on loan when their advances were rejected.

But Arsenal were offered encouragement by the German side earlier this month, when Schalke not only ruled out the prospect of Draxler moving to domestic rivals Bayern Munich, but also admitted the midfielder was unlikely to see out his contract, which runs until 2018.

Last week Schalke boss Jens Keller also told Sport Bild he is unable to plan with Draxler beyond the end of the season - seemingly indicating he is resigned to the starlet moving on.

But Heldt appears to have changed Schalke's stance, insisting the club has enough to offer the 20-year-old to convince him to stay in Gelsenkirchen.

"Arsenal officially enquired about the services of Julian Draxler during the recent transfer window," Heldt told Sport1 media.

"We did not want him to leave. Of course, it was big money on offer, but still it was not enough for us.

"I am convinced Julian will be playing at Schalke past the end of the season. We are able to offer him enough ambition."

Draxler is still expected to be top of Arsenal's wishlist this summer - though the high buyout clause may prove to be a stumbling block as it did in January and the latest comments coming from his German club may be a part of their negotiating tactics.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close