• Premier League

City 'reach agreement' to sign Fernando in the summer

ESPN staff
February 5, 2014 « Liverpool fans slam Arsenal allocation | Chartbeat test »
Porto's Fernando was strongly linked with a move to Manchester City in January © PA Photos
Enlarge

Manchester City have reportedly reached an informal agreement to sign the Porto midfielder Fernando in June.

His Portuguese club are furious that moves to tie Fernando to a new long-term contract in the days prior to City's January approach have failed, according to The Independent.

It is claimed Porto president Pinto da Costa has told coach Paulo Fonseca that Fernando should be excluded from the side until he leaves for City in the summer, although the team's need for the player may rule that out.

Porto will be keen for their proposed new two-year deal for Fernando may now be signed to ensure they get full value for the £15 million-rated player.

However, The Independent reports, the club may be unwilling to buy out the 26-year-old's third party ownership, potentially leaving City with a complex contract situation to untangle.

It was the same third-party issue which City failed to solve in their bid to sign Fernando's team-mate, defender Eliaquim Mangala, last week.

The player, who has also been linked with a move to PSG, is reportedly 56 per cent owned by Porto and 44 per cent by a company connected to the agent Jorge Mendes.

City's 1-0 defeat to Chelsea on Monday night not only stalled their title challenge, it also revealed how exposed the team's defence can be without Fernandinho, who has a groin injury, in midfield.

However, Jesus Navas is confident the team will respond in the right way to losing their 100 percent home league record.

City had won their previous seven matches and recorded 18 victories in 20 games and midfielder Navas believes they are capable of embarking on another similar run.

"We were on a really good dynamic run and we were expecting to win," he told the Manchester Evening News. "It didn't happen, but the team has the potential to go on another run. We want to be in the first spot so we will keep working to get there."

City go to Norwich on Saturday before hosting Sunderland on Wednesday before an FA Cup reunion with Chelsea.

Navas, reflecting on the 1-0 Chelsea defeat, added: "We are on the right track. When they scored it was hard for us, but we worked well so we are not worried about it. The team worked until the end and had options, We could have won so we are not worried about this one loss."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close