Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Transfer News

Arsenal suffer Draxler deal blow

ESPN staff
January 30, 2014 « Liverpool get a clear run at transfer target | Chartbeat test »
'Draxler hasn't told me he wants to leave'


Schalke sporting director Horst Heldt is "convinced" Julian Draxler will disappoint Arsenal and stay with the Bundesliga club at least for the rest of the season.

Arsene Wenger admitted his club are "active" in the transfer market and are confident of landing Draxler before the transfer window closes on Friday.

However, despite the English press claiming that a deal has already been struck, reports in Germany suggest that Schalke do not want to sell the Germany international in the winter.

Solution to Wenger's problems

Schalke's star remains a key transfer target © Getty Images
  • Julian Draxler could be the answer to Arsenal's short-term and long-term problems at the Emirates, writes John Cross.
  • Click here to continue reading

And Heldt has since told a news conference in Gelsenkirchen on Thursday afternoon that Draxler is not going anywhere for the time being, while adding that the player is content to remain at the club.

"We are happy to have such a world class player in our lines. I am very convinced that Draxler will be playing for us in the Rueckrunde [second half of the season] but most probably beyond that," he said. "We are not interested in letting Julian leave, and he has also not approached us about a transfer."

On reports of an Arsenal delegation heading to Gelsenkirchen to negotiate a deal, he added: "I checked my office if someone was waiting for me, but nobody was there. Of course, there are always other clubs interested in him, and should someone make a serious offer for him, then we as a club have to professionally consider that. That does not only apply to Julian Draxler, but to every other player."

There has also been talk of a £37 million release clause in Draxler's contract, however, Heldt insisted that Schalke have the power to demand as much as they like for the player.

"That agreement was only in place for last year, from now on the transfer fee is up for negotiation," he said.

Heldt's words follow on from Schalke media director Thomas Spiegel telling ESPN late on Wednesday that there is no sign of an agreement being struck with Arsenal.

"Our position remains unchanged," he said. "There is nothing Horst Heldt has to be concerned with."

Spiegel referred to a statement made by Heldt on Sunday, in which he did not rule out the possibility that a deal could happen, but underlined the hypothetical nature of his statement by adding that he could also "not rule out signing Cristiano Ronaldo".

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close