- Transfer News
PSG complete Cabaye capture from Newcastle
Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed the signing of Yohan Cabaye on a three-and-a-half-year contract from Newcastle United.
Cabaye, 28, joined Newcastle from French side Lille in 2011 for a fee said to be in the region of £4 million. The midfielder has been in impressive form for Newcastle this season, which led to interest from a number of Europe's top clubs.
Transfer Window LIVE
- For all the latest from the transfer window in the UK and beyond, read ESPN FC's LIVE Transfer Blog
With PSG boss Laurent Blanc admitting his appreciation for Cabaye, the Ligue 1 champions submitted an initial offer of £14 million last week, which was rejected by Newcastle.
Subsequently upping that deal, the two parties have since reached an agreement - an initial £16.5 million and up to £2.5 million in performance-related bonuses - with Cabaye completing his medical on Wednesday afternoon.
"Seduced by the ambitious project of Paris Saint-Germain, I'm very impatient to join this exceptional team and help them achieve the most ambitious of objectives in both France and Europe," Cabaye, who will wear the No. 4 shirt, is quoted as saying in a statement on PSG's official website.
Confirming his departure via a statement on the club's official website, Newcastle said: "Yohan leaves the club after two-and-a-half seasons at St. James' Park.
"Newcastle United have benefitted significantly from Yohan's talents since his arrival from Lille in the summer of 2011, and the player has likewise benefitted, developing hugely during his time on Tyneside.
"The club wanted to keep him but the lure of Champions League football and the prospect of being involved in the sporting project at PSG was an opportunity that Yohan made very clear to us he wanted to take.
"Yohan leaves the club with our best wishes for his future at PSG and, hopefully, as part of the French national squad for this summer's World Cup."