Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Football

Dyke defends cut-throat gesture

ESPN staff
December 19, 2013 « Iniesta agrees new Barcelona contract | Chartbeat test »
Greg Dyke is confident about England's chances at the 2014 World Cup © Getty Images
Enlarge

FA chairman Greg Dyke has revealed he stands by the cut-throat gesture he made at the World Cup draw.

Dyke, 66, attracted controversy when he was caught on camera making the motion after England had been drawn to face Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica at the 2014 World Cup.

However, he has defended it by claiming it was a "piece of humour" and says his actions have been backed by a number of fans.

And contrary to believing England are consigned to failure at the tournament in Brazil, Dyke, who said that he doesn't expect England to challenge for a World Cup before 2022, said that Roy Hodgson's side "have a chance" of winning the competition if they can get beyond the group stage.

He said: "It was a piece of humour. That's me," he told Sky Sports News.

"If you want a straight-laced suit, you can have a straight-laced suit. Or you can have someone like me.

"It was an instant reaction. Interestingly, there have been a number of football fans who've come up to me and said 'you're a proper football fan because you felt like we did'.

"Basically, it's quite a difficult draw. That doesn't mean to say we're not going to get through - I think actually we will get through - but it's a tough draw and we ought to recognise that.

"If you can get out of the group, you're four games from winning - and it could happen.

"No one is going to sit and say we're the favourites, but let's not kid ourselves, we have have a chance."

Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close