• Serie A

Capello laments 'ugly' Juventus incident

ESPN staff
December 3, 2013 « Djokovic criticises ATP, demands more power for players | Chartbeat test »
Capello inducted into Italian Hall of Fame

Former Juventus coach Fabio Capello has expressed his disappointment after an initiative by the club turned into a "very ugly incident."

Twelve thousand children were invited by Juventus to fill the two ends of the Juventus Stadium closed by the Italian football authorities due to repeated geographically and racially discriminatory chants of the Turin club's followers.

However, Udinese goalkeeper Zeljko Brkic was the subject of taunts at both ends of the ground from the youngsters in attendance, leading to conclusions that the behaviour of their elders had influenced their actions.

"It would have been a good idea if an announcement had been made," said Capello, who is currently in charge of Russia. "Instead, nothing was done and not even those accompanying them did anything, so the chants persisted."

He added to Rai television: "The situation has got even worse. This was a very ugly incident with what was a beautiful initiative by Juventus to fill the Curve with children ruined by chants which everybody heard."

The president of the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) Giovanni Malago also acknowledged the chants but preferred to look at the positives.

"Let's not ignore the good side," he said at the same event as Capello. "Certainly it's not something they've come up with themselves."

Speaking to Sky Sport after his first visit to a game at the San Siro at the weekend, Inter Milan president Erick Thohir added: "I want to make my contribution to clean up the game again from racism and bring families back to the stadium."

Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close