Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Poyet threatens to leave Sunderland over transfers

ESPN staff
November 22, 2013 « Bale: Injury woes are over | Chartbeat test »
Gus Poyet was appointed manager in October © PA Photos
Enlarge

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet has revealed he will walk away from the club if his input on January's transfer targets is ignored.

The 45-year-old joined the Black Cats in October, with the club rooted to the foot of the Premier League table.

Subsequently recording two wins and two losses during his brief tenure, fans have been enthused by the improvement in performance.

However, with January fast approaching, Poyet is keen to invest in new faces. Tasked with working alongside director of football Roberto Da Fanti and chief scout Valentino Angeloni, Poyet revealed he expects to have a significant say in who the club signs.

"We talked about a position the other day and considered four players," Poyet told the Guardian. "I picked two. It was simple. One of the other two [selected by De Fanti] was a definite no. If that one is coming, I won't be here.

"The player has to be the right one for me. If not, I'm not going to accept it. The sporting director exists everywhere in the world. I know in England it's not very common. The manager is normally in charge of everything. But I had it at Zaragoza as a player and my situation is clear.

"I met with Roberto and Valentino and said what I think we need. They need to give me the options and I need to pick the ones I like.

"We need to see if they are available and if they fit into the financial possibilities, then we will move forward. I'm sure it's going to be done in the right way, in the common-sense way. Everyone has a responsibility and then the player has to be the right one for me."

Making the revelation with a smile on his face, Poyet is understandably keen to be involved in the club's recruitment drive.

With Paolo Di Canio oft lamented for the majority of the club's 14 summer signings, the Italian recently hit back at claims he chose the players - revealing 80% of his suggestions were English.

Having already told Da Fanti what he thinks of the current squad, Poyet also stressed that January's aim will be about quality over quantity.

"I've told him [De Fanti] my opinions about everybody here already and I've told him what I think we should be looking for," said Poyet. "Roberto and Valentino will manage it and then I will start checking on them every now and then - I like to go and see players live, if it's possible. The players already here have an opportunity now but there are others I think we need.

"The idea is to start moving. The sooner we move, the sooner we get a player, the better for me. It's not going to be many players in January, though. And, so far, everything is working fine [with De Fanti and Angeloni]. The connection and communication have been great."

Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close