FA hits out at former England U21 boss Pearce
The FA has hit out at Stuart Pearce after the former England Under-21 manager accused players of snubbing call-ups to his side.
Pearce said on Tuesday that his side was disadvantaged by the players' unwillingness to step down once they had been selected for senior duty.
Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Manchester United defender Phil Jones were named by Pearce as two of the culprits.
But the FA has defended the duo in an official statement, insisting that "all selections were management decisions and were not taken by individual players".
The statement said: "The FA are disappointed with the comments of Stuart Pearce with regard to squad selection this summer.
"Squads were selected for the summer tournaments and decided upon by the coaching staff, including Stuart Pearce. The players were then advised accordingly which squads they were in.
"It is unfair to criticise individual players.
"All selections were management decisions and were not taken by individual players."
Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.