• Transfer news

United target Baines set for new Everton deal

ESPN staff
September 5, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
United's transfer policy under the spotlight

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has indicated that the club is planning to offer Leighton Baines an improved contract.

The England left-back had been targeted by Manchester United boss David Moyes this summer but, while Marouane Fellaini eventually made a £27.5 million move to Old Trafford, Everton refused to sell Baines.

"From having interest to a situation where you have to consider a move is very different," Martinez said. "Leighton is a very special footballer and a special player for Everton and we are looking forward to him enjoying the challenge that lies ahead."

Martinez indicated that the 28-year-old, whose current contract ties him to the club until 2015, will now be offered an extension.

"When the window is open I think it's the wrong time to speak about those things and so we hadn't discussed it but, now the window is closed, we are going to look into all the players in the squad and see where their contracts are up to," he said.

"Then, individually, we will look to address that. It would just have created more instability if we had done that while the window was open."

Download ESPN's new UK sport app, a fresh and powerful new way to follow your favourite UK sports news, scores and video.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

Feeds Feeds: ESPN staff

ESPN staff Close