Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Moyes admits United may not sign anyone

ESPN staff
August 23, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
David Moyes has yet to bring in new faces to Old Trafford © Getty Images
Enlarge

David Moyes has admitted Manchester United might finish the summer without making a major signing.

United have failed in attempts to sign Cesc Fabregas and Thiago Alcantara from Barcelona, and have had bids for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini rejected by Everton.

And while Moyes is keen to add to United's squad and is interested in Chelsea midfielder Juan Mata, he has conceded the transfer window could shut with him still empty-handed.

"There is no pressure to do it. I have an idea of where I'd like to strengthen. If the right players are available, then great, but there is a possibility nothing may happen," he said.

So far, United's only additions are Wilfried Zaha, whose £15 million move from Crystal Palace was tied up by Sir Alex Ferguson in January, and Uruguayan youngster Guillermo Varela.

Former United assistant manager Mike Phelan said that new chief executive Ed Woodward was to blame for their problems in the transfer market.

Everton deemed a £28m joint off for Fellaini and Baines "derisory and insulting" and Phelan told BBC Radio Manchester: "I think that [Fellaini-Baines] was a cheeky bid. It was never going to get off the ground. What they have done is opened the line into Everton. Ed Woodward has previously been on the commercial side and concentrating on bringing money into the club rather than spending it. It is a totally different outlook. He will learn that.

"He may be frightened by a few prices but he will have to pick that up, because you are dealing with high-quality football players. He and the club have gone on record to say that money is available. That's great, but then every price goes up a peg or two as well."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close