Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

United plan new bid for Baines and Fellaini

ESPN staff
August 20, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Honigstein, Hislop and Burley on Manchester United's pursuit of Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines

Manchester United will return with bids for Everton's Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini this week, and Old Trafford sources have told ESPN that they are willing to increase the total offer to £35 million.

United also retain an interest in Luka Modric, having already made contact with Real Madrid over the midfielder, as they still hope to make three signings in this window.

Everton have already rejected a £28 million bid for Baines and Fellaini this week, describing it as "derisory and insulting". Roberto Martinez also said that he does not expect another bid and that the offers had been "a waste of time", but United are refusing to end their pursuit.

The club have also continued contact with Real Madrid over Modric, although any move for Mesut Ozil - whom they had also targeted - now looks highly unlikely. ESPN has learned that Tottenham Hotspur did initially ask Madrid whether Modric could be included in any bid for Gareth Bale, but Madrid were reluctant to do so and the player himself was unwilling to return to White Hart Lane.

He is understood to be more open to a move to Old Trafford, but is still happy at Real and has been encouraged by his use, and playing position, under Carlo Ancelotti.

Ancelotti greatly admires Modric and started him in Madrid's opening game of the season, the 2-1 win over Real Betis, but the potential purchase of Bale could alter the dynamic in the side.

David Moyes, the United manager, has also been monitoring Sevilla's Geoffrey Kondogbia, who has also been linked with Monaco and Arsenal.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close