• Premier League

Newcastle reject Arsenal Cabaye bid

ESPN staff
August 19, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Arsenal tabled a £10million offer for the Frenchman

Newcastle have rejected a bid from Arsenal in the region of £10 million for midfielder Yohan Cabaye, a source close to the Magpies has informed ESPN.

Cabaye, 27, joined the Magpies in 2011 for a fee in the region of £4.3m. Enjoying a stellar first season in the Premier League, the French international struggled last season with injury as the club only narrowly avoided relegation. This summer has also seen him linked with Manchester United or a potential return to France with Paris Saint Germain and Monaco both said to be interested.

However it appears Arsenal are the first club to test the Magpies' resolve. Arsene Wenger has been roundly criticised for the lack of transfer activity at Arsenal this summer, with only Yaya Sanogo joining the club on a free transfer from Auxerre. Now trying to tempt the Magpies with a bid for their star midfielder, the north east club have outright rejected a bid which they consider to be derisory ESPN sources understand.

The news follows Alan Pardew's admission last week, that the club remained susceptible to late bids for Cabaye, who he considered 'world class'.

"He is certainly not too good for us," said Pardew told the Daily Star last week. "Cabaye's in a great place right now. You want to keep hold of your best players and he is one of the best in the world, in my opinion. He is a fantastic asset for us, has conducted himself in a very professional manner, despite all the speculation, and I admire him for that."

"You are talking to a manager who has the history of Andy Carroll behind him, so you can never say never. We are vulnerable to bigger clubs if they are really decisive and make a bid that knocks us off our feet. But that is not my decision. As the manager, of course, I want him to stay and have a fantastic season here, as our fans do."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close