Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Suarez issues Liverpool apology

ESPN staff
August 16, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Rodgers: Nothing's changed with Suarez

Luis Suarez has rejoined Liverpool's first-team squad after apologising for his behaviour over the summer.

Neither Liverpool nor Suarez's representatives have made any comment on the issue, but sources have confirmed that the striker did train with the squad on Friday.

It is also understood that Suarez said sorry to his team-mates after arriving back on Merseyside from Japan, where he had been on midweek international duty with Uruguay.

Suarez was ordered to train on his own last week in response to manager Brendan Rodgers' concerns about his attitude.

And Rodgers said last week that Suarez would not be allowed to join up with the rest of his team-mates until he said sorry for showing "total disrespect" to the club.

What's in a name?

All of Farnborough FC's players will play under new monikers this season © PA Photos
  • Top Tens: The best (and worst) name changes in sport, starring Jimmy White, John Holmes and Gazza.
  • Click here for more

Suarez, 26, has given a series of interviews since the end of May stating that he wants to leave Anfield.

He claimed earlier this month that he had been promised a year ago that he could leave if Liverpool failed to qualify for this coming season's Champions League.

Both Rodgers and Liverpool have dismissed those claims, insisting that they are under no obligation to sell him.

Arsenal have had two bids for Suarez rejected, including an offer of £40,000,001, made on July 23 in the apparent belief that it would trigger a release clause in his contract. Liverpool insist that there is no such clause.

Principal owner John W Henry has made clear that the striker will not be leaving this summer, and dismissed the notion of selling him to Arsenal as "ludicrous".

On Wednesday, Suarez denied a Uruguayan journalist's report that he had decided to stay at Anfield, but his chances of leaving before the transfer window shuts are increasingly unlikely.

Suarez is suspended for Saturday's Premier League opener against Stoke as he continues to serve a 10-match ban imposed after he bit Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a 2-2 draw at Anfield in April.

He will not be eligible to play for Liverpool until late September, and Rodgers said on Thursday that he would not discuss the striker until he was available again.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close