Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Carroll sued for allegedly destroying house

ESPN staff
August 11, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Andy Carroll signed for West Ham last month © PA Photos
Enlarge

West Ham striker Andy Carroll is being sued for almost £200,000 over allegations that he wrecked the £2 million luxury home he rented while he was a Liverpool player.

Landlords Jeff and Dawn Grant allege that Carroll left the Merseyside mansion in such a state that it cost £48,000 to clean up and repair, while he also still owed them rent.

The England international's London-based solicitors, Glinert Davis, have yet to comment, but it is believed that he is fighting the claims.

In court papers served to Glinert Davis, Carroll is accused of taking away £75,000 worth of furniture and other items, including stereo equipment and CCTV cameras.

The Grants also claim that the five-bedroom detached house's indoor swimming pool was neglected and became infested with algae, and that a garden lounger, barbecue and air hockey table were damaged.

In addition, they said that Carroll missed £68,000 worth of rental payments on the mansion in Blundellsands.

With the £48,000 repair bill added in, the total claim against the 24-year-old comes to £191,000.

Carroll moved into the property after agreeing a two-year tenancy, which expired in May, shortly before he completed a £15.5 million transfer to West Ham.

Leanne Wheeler, senior solicitor at Manleys, the Chester-based firm acting for the landlords, told the Liverpool Echo: "The papers have been served with him, so we are waiting for him to admit the claim or defend it.

"If he does defend it, then we will consider what he says and what the next steps will be from there.

"This was a high-spec property, and one of the terms of the tenancy was that it would be returned in the same condition as it was in at the beginning of the agreement."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close