- Premier League
Newcastle turn away from Gomis after failed bid
Newcastle have cooled their interest in Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis after seeing a £6.9 million bid rejected by the French club.
The Magpies have been desperate to add a new striker to their squad to provide competition for Papiss Cisse and Shola Ameobi.
And after Lyon coach Remi Garde confirmed that Gomis would leave the club this summer, president Jean-Michel Aulas said three offers had been received for the player and that Newcastle were interested.
It remains unclear whether the Magpies will return with a fresh bid for the France international, who is in the last year of his contract.
Meanwhile, Cisse will make his first appearance of pre-season at St Mirren on Tuesday, Newcastle boss Alan Pardew said.
The Senegal international has been out of the picture following a dispute over him wearing shirts featuring the logo of new club sponsor Wonga, which has now been resolved.
"We should have a good side out there for our fans if they want to travel up," Pardew told the Chronicle.
"Papiss has looked really good. We've only had one training day with him as a group, and he's looked really well.
"I'm pleased with that. It's been a difficult time for him, and now we rally round him and support him."