Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Pellegrini: City set to keep spending

ESPN staff
July 26, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Manuel Pellegrini could yet make more additions to his Manchester City squad © PA Photos
Enlarge

Manuel Pellegrini has hinted that Manchester City may yet have more business to do in the transfer market despite having already lavished £80 million on new signings.

After losing losing their Premier League title to Manchester United and seeing Wigan pip them to the FA Cup, City have not been idle. Pellegrini replaced Roberto Mancini as manager with Fernandinho, Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic all drafted in since the end of the season.

There have been outgoings at the Etihad too - most notably Carlos Tevez who departed for Juventus in a £7.6 million move.

But with City linked to a £20 million move for Real Madrid defender Pepe, Pellegrini has confirmed he is not ready to put away the cheque book just yet.

"The club has spent money on important players, like Stevan and Negredo," Pellegrini said at City's press conference in Hong Kong, where they are competing in the Barclays Asia Trohpy.

"But we must remind you that last year there was Balotelli and Tevez, so we had to replace two very good players with another two very good players.

"So, we have the month of July and some days of August to finish the squad completely. It's not absolutely complete, but it's very near to being complete.

"I don't speak about rumours. I think we have the players we need here.

"I just said that we will see what happens in this month and during August.

"I'm not talking about specific names because it's not better for us, so I don't talk about Pepe or any other names."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close