Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Moyes confirms improved Fabregas bid

July 22, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »

Manchester United manager David Moyes has confirmed the club have made an improved offer for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas, and hopes to have more news on the deal in "a day or so".

Speaking at a press conference in Yokohama, Moyes admitted the club had lodged a second offer for the former Arsenal midfielder, although he was not aware of any response from the Spanish club.

United executive vice-president Ed Woodward is leading negotiations from Old Trafford.

"As I understand it, Ed had a response [to the first bid]," said Moyes at a press conference in Yokohama. "We have made a second offer but Ed is dealing with it rather than me."

It is believed that Barcelona are unwilling to make a decision on Fabregas' future until they have found a replacement for departed head coach Tito Vilanova, who was forced to step down at Camp Nou last week for health reasons.

Nevertheless, Moyes indicated that the club would push hard to try and complete the transfer of the Spain international this summer, although they also have a number of other targets in mind.

Moyes added: "When you're interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise and I'll do that. I hope things can continue and move forward.

"At this moment in time I can only tell you that Ed Woodward is working hard trying to make the deals happen. We can only hope that some of them fall into place shortly."

The Scot told reporters he also hoped to have "good news" in the coming days concerning other new acquisitions, thought to include Benfica defender Ezequiel Garay.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd
Close