Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Shakhtar chief gives Liverpool glimmer of Mkhitaryan hope

ESPN staff
July 6, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »

Shakhtar Donetsk chief executive Sergei Palkin has denied reports that Borussia Dortmund have agreed a deal to sign Henrikh Mkhitaryan, although he said a deal may be close.

It had been claimed that Mkhitaryan had agreed a €25 million move to Dortmund, with Liverpool thought to have given up hope of landing the Armenia international.

However, Palkin had said in recent days that Shakhtar would not accept anything less than €30 million, and it appears that, while talks are ongoing, their stance has not changed.

Asked about Mkhitaryan, football.ua quoted Palkin as saying: "I have not talked to him. Borussia have offered us €25 million - to us, this is not enough, but we are talking to the German club. There is a real possibility that we will come to an agreement in the near future."

Palkin said he was unsure whether the 24-year-old had already agreed terms with the Champions League finalists.

"Such questions should be directed to the player and his representatives," he said.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close