Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Serie A

Napoli refuse to budge on Cavani price

ESPN staff
June 28, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Edinson Cavani reportedly favours a move to Real Madrid © PA Photos
Enlarge

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has said he will not drop his asking price for in-demand striker Edinson Cavani.

Cavani, 26 has said he believes the reported €65 million valuation in the release clause of his Napoli contract is over-inflated.

The Uruguay international wants to hold talks with De Laurentiis in an effort to resolve the situation, with both Real Madrid and Chelsea believed to be keen to sign him.

However, the president has stressed that he will hold firm, and the Mirror quoted him as saying: "With Cavani there is no need for a face-to-face [meeting].

"There is a clause, and there will come a time when a club brings to the table the money stated. Then we cannot keep him."

Reports earlier this week suggested Chelsea had agreed a fee for Cavani, but that the player reportedly favoured a move to Madrid.

De Laurentiis has said Manchester City were not willing to pay the full asking price for Cavani, who said after his country's 2-1 defeat to Brazil in the Confederations Cup that he was keen to sort things out.

"I love Naples. It's my town, and my heart is there. But when I was here in Brazil, I've heard untrue rumours and things about me," the striker said.

"For this reason, now I want to talk as soon as possible with president De Laurentiis. We must clear this [situation up] ourselves. I'll talk with him, as it's done between men, really soon."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close