Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Everton dismiss Martinez deal done

ESPN staff
June 3, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »

Everton have played down suggestions from Wigan owner Dave Whelan that the two clubs have agreed a deal for Roberto Martinez to take over at Goodison Park, insisting no decision on David Moyes' successor has been made.

Martinez told the Latics that he would be leaving the club after Wigan were relegated to the Championship and Whelan revealed a compensation package has been signed as the Spaniard looks set to join Everton.

"He'd spoken to Everton because I gave them permission," Whelan said. "When he came back and told me how it had gone, it had gone very well and he was probably in the last two or three on the list.

"Then the chairman rang me and discussed the compensation deal with me, and we agreed that this evening."

But Everton, who are believed to still be choosing their next manager from at least two candidates, immediately responded to the reports.

"In response to regrettable and somewhat premature reports earlier this evening, Everton Football Club are continuing discussions with regards to the vacant managerial position," a club statement read. "Whilst positive moves are being made, the Club will officially announce details as and only when they are agreed and completed."

Although Porto's Vitor Pereira and former Schalke coach Ralf Rangnick have been linked with the Everton post, Martinez appears favourite for the role, particularly after Rangnick distanced himself from a move to the Premier League.

Reports suggest Everton will begin final negotiations with Martinez to discuss personal terms on Tuesday.

If the move does go ahead, it means Wigan can go ahead with their own managerial appointment. Former Bolton boss Owen Coyle and Steve McClaren, who left Dutch side FC Twente in February, head an applicant list which Whelan says is around 50 strong.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close