Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Whelan: 50 have applied for Wigan job

ESPN staff
June 1, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
Dave Whelan says there has been plenty of applicants for the Wigan job © Getty Images
Enlarge

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan says around 50 people have applied to replace Roberto Martinez as manager of the FA Cup winners, including some well-known names.

Martinez told Whelan last week that he intended to leave the relegated Latics and has since had talks with Everton, with David Moyes headed to Manchester United.

But although Martinez is technically still in charge at Wigan, owner Whelan has been inundated with applications from managers hoping to take the hot seat at the DW Stadium.

"Roberto is still our manager and we're still waiting on Everton to say they want to appoint him or they don't," Whelan told Wigan Today.

"If Everton want to take him then there is £2 million of compensation to be paid to Wigan Athletic, so we can't jeopardise that.

"We've got a list of candidates who have applied and we must have 50 people on it. We've got some very good and talented managers who have applied - there are some very high-profile names on there."

Former England manager Steve McClaren, who has been out of work since leaving Dutch side FC Twente in February, has been installed as the favourite by the bookmakers with Owen Coyle, who left Bolton last October, second.

Rene Meulensteen, who left Manchester United after serving as Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team coach, has also been linked with the job.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close