- Premier League
Monaco deny Tevez is a transfer target
Monaco have denied Manchester City's Carlos Tevez has ever been a transfer target, while also ruling out an immediate move for Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes.
Tevez, 29, was reported across the French media to have agreed personal terms with the newly-promoted Ligue 2 champions as part of their massive summer spending spree ahead of the upcoming top-fight campaign. However, the club's sporting director, Vadim Vasilyev, 41, told RMC the Argentine international has never been on their agenda.
"We're not in talks. A lot of newspapers are talking about that, but that case has never been discussed."
Meanwhile, Toronto FC have denied outlandish reports that they were willing to break their transfer record to take Tevez to Canada.
The Argentine was linked with a $10 million move to Major League Soccer, but while former manager Roberto Mancini had expressed his willingness to give the Argentina international a new deal, he could leave the 2012 Premier League champions and appeared to be waving farewell to the City crowd when substituted in the final game of the season.
But his £250,000-a-week wages made stories Toronto were interested unlikely and a club spokesman told Canadian newspapers: "We are not in talks to acquire Carlos Tevez."
Toronto are managed by former Blackburn, Tottenham and QPR defender Ryan Nelsen and their recent recruits from the English league are former Cardiff striker Rob Earnshaw, on-loan Birmingham centre-back Steven Caldwell and the borrowed winger Hogan Ephraim, a former team-mate of their head coach in his time at Loftus Road.
While Joao Moutinho, James Rodriguez and Ricardo Carvalho have all been added to Claudio Ranieri's squad in the last week, and Radamel Falcao poised to complete his switch to the Stade Louis II on Friday, it seems Valdes, 31, will not be joining them.
The Barca shot-stopper was reported to have arrived in Monaco earlier in the week to discuss an imminent move. However, Vasilyev insisted current number one Danijel Subasic had a good chance of still being between the posts when the 2013-14 season kicks off in August.
"We're happy with our goalkeeper. We're going to talk about it again with Claudio in a few days' time, but for the moment, it's not the case [that Valdes will come]."