Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • FA Cup

Three more arrests over FA Cup violence

ESPN staff
April 23, 2013 « Live County Championship coverage | Chartbeat test »
The arrests have now hit a total of 23 © Getty Images
Enlarge

Three men have been arrested in connection with the fighting that broke out during the FA Cup semi-final between Millwall and Wigan at Wembley earlier this month, police have said.

Officers arrested the men, aged 21, 22 and 27, during dawn raids in London. The arrests bring the total number detained in connection with the violence to 23.

The arrests were made by officers from Operation Arrowtip, which targets football-related crime, Scotland Yard said.

Millwall supporters attacked police and fought amongst themselves both inside and outside Wembley as their team suffered a 2-0 defeat to bow out of the FA Cup.

Detective Chief Inspector Andy Barnes said: "Large-scale violence and disorder at football matches is completely unacceptable.

"People attending matches expect to be able to do so in a safe and friendly environment.

"To date, we have arrested 23 people. Three have been charged. The investigation team is working through many more calls and CCTV to identify all those involved in the disorder, and we expect to make further arrests."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close