- Premier League
Ferguson in hot water with FA for comments
The Football Association have asked Sir Alex Ferguson to explain comments he made about linesman Simon Beck following Manchester United's 1-1 draw with Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
Ferguson labelled Beck's performance "shocking" after he failed to give United a clear penalty when Wayne Rooney was challenged in the penalty area by Spurs defender Steven Caulker.
The United manager also said Beck had history with his club after not ruling out an offside Didier Drogba goal in 2010, saying: "There was no way we were going to get a decision from (Beck)."
After the FA confirmed it had contacted Ferguson following the remarks he now has until 6pm on Thursday to respond. Should they rule that Ferguson's comments amount to a questioning of Beck's integrity, they will charge the United boss with misconduct and he could receive a touchline ban and or fine.
United defender Rio Ferdinand agreed with Ferguson's stance that Caulker's challenge was worthy of a penalty kick at a time when they were leading 1-0 at White Hart Lane.
"It was a 100 per cent penalty," Ferdinand told MUTV after the game. "I cannot believe he didn't give it. The linesman (Beck) didn't really help us on the near touchline at all in the second half especially. He maybe wasn't going to put his flag up but I am disappointed that the referee didn't give what was a stonewall penalty."
Ferguson has a long history of disciplinary charges with the FA. In March 2011 Ferguson was hit with a five-match touchline ban and a £30,000 fine for questioning the integrity of referee Martin Atkinson after a match at Chelsea.
He did escape punishment earlier this season, however, despite confronting Mike Dean, assistant referee Jake Collin and fourth official Neil Swarbrick during the Red Devils' game against Newcastle.