• Premier League

Tevez ponders new City contract

ESPN staff
January 15, 2013 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »

Carlos Tevez has revealed he is ready to consider a new contract at Manchester City - but still yearns for a return home with Boca Juniors.

City boss Roberto Mancini revealed last week that he was eager to sit down and thrash out a new deal with Tevez, with the striker's current agreement due to expire in the summer of 2014.

It marks a remarkable turnaround in the relationship between player and manager as just 12 months ago it seemed certain Tevez would never play for City again, as he strolled around the golf courses of Argentina after walking out on the club.

At one point Tevez had suggested he could retire from football at the end of his deal with the Premier League champions, but he now appears to have had a change of heart - though whether he continues playing in England or at home in Argentina remains to be seen.

"I've one year left on my deal and City want me to sign for two more seasons. I'll think about it," Tevez is quoted as saying in The Sun. "This year is different from last, when I wanted to end the contract with City. I'm happy here as they're treating me well.

"Sometimes I play, sometimes I don't, but that's okay."

Tevez has started 16 of City's 22 Premier League games, scoring seven goals and providing six assists.

However, in an interview with ESPN's Sportscenter, Tevez suggested he would like to once again play for Boca, where he started his professional career and won the Copa Libertadores as well as the Argentine Apertura championship, the Copa Sudamericana and the Intercontinental Cup (now Club World Cup).

Carlos Bianchi, who was in charge during Tevez's successful spell at La Bombonera, has returned to manage the Blue and Gold for a third spell.

"The will to return to Boca always exists, even more so with Bianchi as a manager," Tevez said. "I would like to wear the shirt of the team I love again."

Tevez also believes he is no longer in Argentina's plans, having not played for his country since the Copa America in 2011. Even Wigan Athletic striker Franco Di Santo was selected ahead of him to make his debut against Saudi Arabia in November.

"Nowadays the Argentine national team have better strikers than me," he said. "A person must have the greatness to say the national team doesn't need him anymore.

"There are players nowadays that are a level above."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close