Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Holtby won't join Spurs in January

ESPN staff
January 11, 2013 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »

Andre Villas-Boas has ruled out the chances of Lewis Holtby joining Tottenham in January.

Holtby, 22, has agreed to move to White Hart Lane in the summer when his contract at Schalke expires but the club's managing director Horst Heldt claimed there was a chance the Germany international could move early if Tottenham wanted - something Villas-Boas has subsequently denied.

He said: "When you reach an agreement with a player that is a free transfer in the summer, there is always that possibility, but it is not something we are looking to do."

Holtby had previously revealed he cannot wait to get going at his new club, but he will now have to wait a while longer.

"[Tottenham] are not a small club and have an insanely good manager," Holtby said. "I simply had to take the offer from Tottenham. New things don't scare me, they excite me. In my opinion Tottenham is a big club in Europe.

"Tottenham have belonged to the top five in England for many years and they only missed out on the Champions League because Chelsea won the cup last year. Without Tottenham's offer I would have signed at Schalke. I can only repeat that Horst Heldt made a very good offer.

"I believe that I have a good relation to the fans, because I have always been authentic and honest. Now they can decide on their own how to react."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close