Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Primera Liga

Betis confirm Canas heading to Swansea

ESPN staff
January 10, 2013 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »
Jose Canas is Swansea bound © Getty Images
Enlarge

Real Betis manager Pepe Mel has revealed Jose Canas is set to move to Swansea, but says the transfer will not happen until the midfielder's contract ends in the summer - unless the Premier League club are willing to up their offer for the player.

Reports in the British press suggest Swansea and Canas, 25, have already agreed terms for next season, but the Premier League club will have to spend at least £1 million to persuade Betis to sell during the January transfer window.

The Cadiz-born Betis youth product has not been included in Mel's squad for Thursday's Copa del Rey last 16 clash at home to Las Palmas, which is evenly balanced after the first leg finished 1-1. However, the former Rayo Vallecano boss stated this was down to a minor knee problem and he had no worries about selecting the player between now and the end of the season.

"It has been decided, unless Swansea say something different, that Canas stays here until June 30," Mel said. "As we saw in Zaragoza (last Friday), he is a committed player, he gives everything and he stood out as he always does. We left him out for the cup game as a precaution, but he will train as normal on Thursday."

Mel also said he hoped first choice goalkeeper Adrian, another of the many Betis squad members whose contracts end this summer and who has reportedly attracted interest from Valencia, would agree a new deal to remain with the Andalucian club.

"It is normal," Mel said. "We are coming to the time when players finish their contracts. We cannot ignore this. You cannot keep a player who does not want to stay, but you need to try with those who want to stay."

Canas' midfielder partner Benat Etxeberria has also been heavily linked with a move away from the Benito Villamarin, with Turkish Superliga side Fernerbahce reportedly overtaking Chelsea, Arsenal Manchester City and Wolfsburg in the chase for the player this week.

But Mel has insisted that Betis would prefer to add to their squad this month rather than lose players.

"I do not believe in the winter transfer window," he said. "But the truth is that last year Paulao arrived and he added something for us."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close