Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Fellaini banned after Everton accept FA charge

ESPN staff
December 17, 2012 « Dodson chasing pigs & squirrels to prepare for Johnson | Chartbeat test »
Marouane Fellaini will be banned for three matches © Getty Images
Enlarge

Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini has been banned for three matches after the Merseyside club accepted an FA charge of violent conduct on Monday.

The Belgian international was involved in various incidents with the defender, including a clear headbutt that he subsequently apologised for. Referee Mark Halsey did not see the headbutt incident during the match and thus did not punish Fellaini - allowing the FA to act retrospectively after video replays brought the act to light.

The governing body announced the charge on Monday evening, with Everton and Fellaini accepting it almost immediately.

Fellaini will therefore miss the forthcoming away trip to West Ham, along with home games against Wigan and Chelsea. He should return to action against Newcastle on January 2, 2013.

"We will take the punishment if it is given for it,'' Toffees manager David Moyes had said at the weekend. "I have told him in the dressing room that it is not acceptable - I won't accept it as a manager that he does that.''

Fellaini added: "I apologise completely to Ryan Shawcross, my team-mates and to our fans at the game.

"There was a lot of pushing and pulling going on inside the Stoke penalty area and I didn't feel I was getting any protection from the officials. Nevertheless I know I shouldn't have done what I did.

"I have also apologised to the manager and the staff. I have no excuses, I was disappointed with the way I was being treated and I lost my temper, which was unprofessional of me."

There had been speculation that Fellaini would receive a longer ban, after being involved in two other notable altercations with Shawcross towards the end of the match at the Britannia Stadium.

But, writing in his referee's report, Halsey clarified that he saw the two subsequent incidents between the players and deemed neither to constitute violent conduct - meaning the FA will not act further.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close