Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Berget coy on Newcastle move talk

ESPN staff
October 2, 2012 « Nadal: 'Fantastic' Murray has got it all | Chartbeat test »
Jo Inge Berget is a Norway international © PA Photos
Enlarge

Molde forward Jo Inge Berget has said he is unaware of any interest from Newcastle United - despite his agent confirming he has been in discussions with the Magpies.

Reports at the weekend stated that Berget was a £2 million target for Alan Pardew, amid claims the Newcastle boss is preparing to strengthen his attacking options in January.

Berget, who began his career at Lyn Oslo, joined Molde from Udinese in 2011, and told Romerikes Blad: "I don't know any more than what is written on the internet."

The player's agent, Jim Solbakken, claims to have held discussions with Newcastle, although he refused to reveal whether Berget had been a topic of conversation.

He said: "I have been in touch with Newcastle for many reasons, (including) regarding forwards, but I don't want to say if we have discussed Jo Inge."

Meanwhile, Newcastle have confirmed that their sponsorship deal with Virgin Money, which was due to run until 2014, will end a year early.

The agreement allowed either party to terminate the deal early by giving due notice, with managing director Derek Llambias thanking the company for what he described as a "successful partnership".

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close