Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Real Madrid challenge Newcastle for Debuchy

ESPN staff
August 29, 2012 « AC Milan rule out Carroll approach | Chartbeat test »
Mathieu Debuchy played against England for France at Euro 2012 © PA Photos
Enlarge

Real Madrid have upped their search for a new right-back, as Jose Mourinho suggested that the club could do more business before the summer's transfer window shuts on Friday.

Lille's Mathieu Debuchy and Internazionale's Maicon are the names in the frame, according to various reports in the Spanish media on Wednesday.

Mourinho said at his pre-Supercopa second leg press conference on Tuesday that the next few days could see players both coming and going at the Bernabeu.

"Modric's arrival does not mean the door is closed," Mourinho said. "Not for arrivals or departures. It is open for everything."

Widespread reports in the Madrid media said Real had joined Premier League side Newcastle in the hunt for France international Debuchy, 27, who earlier in the summer told French television he saw his future away from the Ligue 1 club.

Alan Pardew's side have reportedly had a £6 million bid turned down for the player, who has missed Lille's last three games with an ankle injury, and is set to miss their Champions League qualifier on Wednesday.

"If we fail to qualify for the Champions League would I be forced to accept Newcastle's proposal?" said Seydoux. "You know that I am not very flexible when it comes to business."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close