• Premier League

Man City preparing £60m spree

Harry Harris
August 27, 2012 « Tottenham make Lloris breakthrough | Chartbeat test »
Manchester City are understood to have given up on Daniel Agger © Getty Images
Enlarge

Manchester City are preparing £60 million worth of bids in the next 24 hours to try to land Roberto Mancini's targets before the window closes on Friday.

Jack Rodwell has been City's only summer signing and another midfielder is a priority, as well as a central defender, while Scott Sinclair is already on his way this week to replace Adam Johnson, with a source confirming "the deal is now close".

A well-placed City source told ESPN that there is still an "outside chance" of landing Mancini's No. 1 target Daniele De Rossi from Roma, even after the midfielder committed his future to the Serie A club last week.

City will consider a move for Benfica defensive midfielder Javi Garcia if a final move for De Rossi fails. Mancini's first-team coach Fausto Salsano watched Garcia during Benfica's 5-0 win against Vitoria Setubal on Sunday.

Garcia's release clause is £23.8 million and he is contracted to Benfica until 2016, but the indications are that the club will sell at the right price.

City could also target Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez, as the Spaniard's proposed move to Bayern Munich continues to drag on.

Mancini is also keen on a centre-back but it is understood they will not renew their interest in Daniel Agger as Liverpool are seeking £25 million for the Dane. "The club are unlikely to revisit Agger," the source said.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close