Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

Spurs given Llorente hope

ESPN staff
August 21, 2012 « Wenger sets sights on two new signings | Chartbeat test »
Fernando Llorente could yet move to the Premier League, says his agent © Getty Images
Enlarge

The agent of Spurs target Fernando Llorente has admitted it is "very, very possible" the Athletic Bilbao striker will move to the Premier League before the transfer window closes.

Llorente, a Spain international, was believed to be on the verge of completing a move to Serie A champions Juventus this summer, having expressed his desire to leave the Spanish club in search of a new challenge.

Spurs have long maintained an interest in the 27-year-old, but have reportedly so far been put off by his £30 million asking price as they look to add a striker to the squad at White Hart Lane.

However, Llorente's agent Carlos Arino Bajo admitted that there remains a good chance Spurs could get their man - with Llorente expected to clarify his future on Wednesday.

However, Arino Bajo revealed one of the Manchester clubs - United and City - are also interested in the player.

"Tomorrow [Wednesday] Llorente will speak to his destination," Arino Bajo said, according to the Daily Telegraph. "It is very, very possible he will decide to go to the Premier League.

"I don't know the [choice of] club at the moment but there are two [interested] clubs. One is in London, and one is in Manchester."

With only one out-and-out striker, Jermain Defoe, currently on the club's books, Spurs are desperate to sign another forward as soon as possible. Emmanuel Adebayor, who spent last season on loan at the club, is another target - with the north London side now more hopeful a deal will be agreed after parent club Manchester City reportedly offered to off-set some of the Togolese player's wage demands in a bid to get him off their books.

City would appear to be more likely to be keeping tabs on Llorente than United, with manager Roberto Mancini admitting over the weekend that a long-term injury to Sergio Aguero, who was stretchered off against Southampton on Sunday, might force him into the market for another striker.

"If it is a serious injury we will probably change our plans," said Mancini. "But we need to wait. Maybe it will be one week or three or four weeks, after the international break."

However, scans subsequently revealed the former Atletico Madrid forward should only be out for a maximum of four weeks.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close