Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Serie A

Milan vice-president plays down Carroll rumours

ESPN staff
July 4, 2012 « Cav in nasty crash as Greipel takes stage four | Chartbeat test »
Andy Carroll impressed towards the end of the season © Getty Images
Enlarge

AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani says the club will not make any further signings this summer, despite being linked to Liverpool's Andy Carroll.

Pier Silvio Berlusconi, son of club owner Silvio Berlusconi, had acknowledged that he would love to bring the 23-year-old to the San Siro - having seen him at Euro 2012.

"As a future target, I'd like Andy Carroll," Berlusconi said, according to Mediaset. "I must admit that for his body build, and after seeing his header in the Euros, I would like to have Carroll at Milan."

Milan have allowed a number of players to leave the club this summer, including Clarence Seedorf, Gennaro Gattuso, Alessandro Nesta and Filippo Inzaghi, and have already strengthened by signing midfielders Riccardo Montolivo, Kevin Constant and Bakaye Traore as well as defender Francesco Acerbi.

Mathieu Flamini was re-signed on a one-year deal despite Milan having indicated he would be released, and Galliani insists that the Rossoneri are not looking to strengthen any further.

"Milan's transfer market is closed," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "We have nine midfielders and our market is closed."

Milan secured a big boost this week when defender Thiago Silva signed a new contract until 2017. The Brazil international had been set to join Paris Saint-Germain in a €46 million deal until the intervention of Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi.

Galliani said: "We must thank Silvio Berlusconi for keeping Thiago at the club and, hence, resisting the temptation to sell him. With regards to those that will depart, only perhaps Mesbah will leave the club."

Djemal Mesbah, a January signing from Lecce, has been linked with a move to Torino.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close