• Euro 2012

Ferdinand brothers will 'move on' from saga, says Anton

ESPN staff
June 7, 2012 « London 2012 just the start for GB basketball | Chartbeat test »

Anton Ferdinand has refused to join the condemnation of his brother Rio's omission from England's Euro 2012 squad and said: "I am sure he'd like to be there, but sadly it didn't happen this time."

The England coach, Roy Hodgson, called up Liverpool's Martin Kelly after Gary Cahill was ruled out by injury. Jamie Moralee, Rio Ferdinand's adviser, described that decision as "disrespectful".

A widely-held view is that the potential for conflict between Rio Ferdinand and John Terry was the key factor behind Hodgson's decision rather than the "footballing reasons" the coach suggested.

The controversy dates back to October, when a confrontation between QPR's Anton Ferdinand and Terry in a Premier League match at Loftus Road resulted in the Chelsea skipper being charged with racially abusing his opponent - a charge he has strenuously denied.

Sol Campbell spoke out after Hodgson's decision, saying he would hand all his England caps back if he felt a choice between Rio Ferdinand and Terry had been made on the basis of skin colour.

Rio Ferdinand has vowed to support England despite his omission, and his brother told ITV: "Things happen in football. It's a game of ups and downs. I am sure he'd like to be there, but sadly it didn't happen this time.

"But we move on and, like he said, he's going to follow them from somewhere else and - as a family and as a community - we're going to do that."

The issue has overshadowed England's arrival in Krakow, but the FA chairman, David Bernstein, said it was something he was not prepared to discuss until Euro 2012 was over.

"We're here to talk about the tournament, about the 23 players who are here," he told reporters. "I'm not prepared to discuss - at all - any players who are not here."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close