Football

/ News

Powered by ESPNfc
  • Premier League

No Liverpool contact for Capello or Deschamps

Harry Harris
May 22, 2012 « Saha eyes Spurs stay | Chartbeat test »
Fabio Capello is out of work after leaving England © Getty Images
Enlarge

Liverpool have had no contact with either Fabio Capello or Didier Deschamps, according to ESPN sources on Tuesday.

Speculation had been growing that Capello was wanted by Fenway Sports Group (FSG) as the successor to Kenny Dalglish, with contacts close to the former England coach claiming he had been approached.

However, ESPN has been told that there has been no official contact with Capello and that there has also been no approach for Marseille boss Didier Deschamps.

Roberto Martinez has been given permission to speak to Liverpool by his club Wigan, while Brendan Rodgers of Swansea City turned down the chance to meet with Anfield representatives. Borussia Dortmund boss Jurgen Klopp and Ajax manager Frank de Boer have been approached but will stay with their current clubs.

Andre Villas-Boas has also held meetings with Liverpool and is on the list of managers due to have a second interview, and it is expected that they will be joined by at least one other candidate. FSG is yet to meet any prospective new manager, with managing director Ian Ayre conducting the initial stages of the recruitment process.

A source told ESPN: "The long list of candidates is now narrowing down to a workable number who are likely to go to Boston, although there is of course a chance that the owners will come over here to see the candidates."

It was reported that an agent representing Liverpool did approach Capello before the Champions League final to enquire as to his interest in the position, and that he had since held preliminary talks, at which he expressed a desire to be considered.

Liverpool fan group Spirit of Shankly, which led the protests against former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, has written to FSG to express its concern over the way the club is being run.

"It may be that yourselves and the board of Liverpool Football Club have a vision you are working towards," SOS's letter read. "It may be that you have implemented a strategy to deliver that vision and decisions are being made to work towards this.

"However, from the outside, where supporters find themselves once again, it looks like a football club in disarray. Confusion and chaos seems to reign and no one is coming out of this with much credit, particularly the football club's image and brand.

"We need clear and pro-active communication, a confident message about the club's plans that breeds confidence amongst supporters that we are moving in the right direction. Instead, we have silence and a lack of information or understanding on decisions being made.

"As supporters we have seen all too clearly what a lack of communication from absentee owners leads to. Ultimately supporters remain in the dark once again about the plans for this football club moving forward.

"We find ourselves experiencing deja vu, where boardroom decisions lead to more questions than they answer. We ask that you speak with supporters - engage with a true representative cross section of supporters and work with supporters to provide solutions to our current problems."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close