• Premier League

Becks rules out any chance of Spurs return

ESPN staff
July 22, 2011 « Bent urges McLeish to sign N'Zogbia | Chartbeat test »

David Beckham has effectively ruled out any future return to the Premier League - asserting he would only be prepared to come back if it was with former club Manchester United.

The LA Galaxy midfielder spent much of the MLS off-season training with Tottenham Hotspur earlier in the year, although the 36-year-old never made a competitive appearance for Harry Redknapp's side as the two clubs failed to reach an agreement over the former England captain.

Redknapp was impressed with Beckham's work ethic and expressed an interest in trying to sign him in future, but the Englishman has now ruled out that option - hinting that his own reservations played a part in the fact no deal was done.

Beckham would only return to the Premier League with former club Manchester United and, as he believes that eventuality is unlikely, instead will now focus on the remainder of his career in Los Angeles.

"I have always said I have played for the biggest club in England [United] and I wouldn't like to play against them," Beckham said. "I am 36 and still feel good and fresh but I can't see it happening.

"The Tottenham thing didn't happen for a reason. I only want to be known as a Manchester United player and that's the way it will stay."

Beckham is set to face his former club next week, however, as Sir Alex Ferguson's men prepare to face an MLS All-Star lineup in a preseason friendly.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Close