Kaizer Chiefs continue horror start after Bloem Celtic draw

Bloemfontein Celtic coach Steve Komphela in action against his former team Kaizer Chiefs Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

Khama Billiat scored for the third time this season but Kaizer Chiefs' horror start to the Absa Premiership campaign continued on Wednesday when they let a two-goal lead slip to draw 2-2 with Bloemfontein Celtic.

The points looked safe when Khotso Malope added a second just past the hour mark, but Celtic twice took advantage of some hesitatant defending to rescue a point.

Ndumiso Mabena levelled the score having earlier set up Menzi Masuku as former Chiefs coach Steve Komphela faced Amakhosi for the first time since leaving Naturena in April.

Chiefs were ahead when playmaker Siphelele Ntshangase slipped a superb ball through for Billiat, who clipped it under Celtic's Cameroon goalkeeper Patrick Tignyemb, who was beaten for the first time this season.

It was 2-0 as Leonardo Castro played in Malope, who kept his cool to clip the ball over an advancing Tignyemb.

That looked like it would be enough for the win, but Mabena's clipped pass over the top of the Chiefs defence played in Masuku and he provided a neat finish.

Mabena earned a point for the visitors with a stunning strike when, after his initial shot was blocked, he smashed home the rebound on the volley from the edge of the box.

Chiefs were without injured goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune, a worry for national team coach Stuart Baxter as he prepares for the African Nations Cup qualifier against Libya on September 8.

Chiefs are now winless in their first five Absa Premiership games and sit in 13th position in the league.

Meanwhile, Bidvest Wits moved two points clear of Celtic at the top of the table with a comfortable 3-0 victory over AmaZulu.

Scotland striker Simon Murray came off the bench to net his first goal for the club after earlier strikes from in-form forwards Gift Motupa and Mxolisi Macuphu.

Wits have won four of their first five games this season and look to be genuine title contenders having rediscovered their touch in front of goal.

Cape Town City scored with the last kick of the game to secure a 2-2 draw at Free State Stars with a much-changed side as coach Benni McCarthy had an eye on Sunday's MTN8 semifinal, second leg, at Mamelodi Sundowns.

The equaliser came in almost farcical circumstances as Craig Martin's cross was deflected onto the crossbar before rebounding onto the back of the head of Stars' Rwandan goalkeeper Olivier Kwizera.

Zimbabwe forward Matthew Rusike had earlier bundled the ball home for City to give them the lead, before Guinea defender Bangaly Keita leveled the scores from close-range.

Goodman Dlamini put the home side ahead with a stunning strike that looked to have won the game before their piece of late misfortunate.

Eric Tinkler's reign at Chippa United ended in a 2-1 defeat to his former side SuperSport United, who continued their steady start to the season.

Teboho Mokoena netted for SuperSport, before veteran Kurt Lentjies equalised for Chippa. 
Zimbabwe forward Evans Rusike continued his good recent form with a winner towards the end of the first half.

Highlands Park let a lead slip for the third time this season and have begun their return to the top-flight with a fourth draw as they played to a 1-1 stalemate at Baroka FC.

Thabo Motlafi put Highlands Park ahead with 16 minutes remaining, but striker Ranga Chivaviro equalised in the final minute for Baroka. It was a first Premiership goal for both players. 
And Golden Arrows and Polokwane City played to the same scoreline in Durban.

Nkanyiso Mngwengwe had given Golden Arrows the lead after seven minutes, but last season's joint top-scorer Rodney Ramagalela found an equaliser for the visitors.