England under-21s manage draw at Switzerland in Euro qualifier

England Under-21s maintained their unbeaten start to their Euro 2017 qualifying campaign but they were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw against Switzerland in Thun.

On-loan Hull striker Chuba Akpom opened the scoring for England early in the second half before Florian Kamberi levelled with 15 minutes remaining.

England, who saw substitute Jordon Ibe sent off in added time for a second yellow card, remain three points clear at the top of Group 9.

England made a solid enough start but they could have fallen behind on 10 minutes after some sloppy play by Calum Chambers.

The Arsenal defender was caught in possession on the edge of his own box by Swiss striker Haris Tabakovic and he crossed for Kamberi who could only prod wide.

England's Matt Targett sent over a dangerous cross of his own moments later which John Swift almost converted, as did Switzerland defender Levent Gulen who was relieved to see his deflection skip just wide of the post.

Demarai Gray, who dragged a left-footed shot wide on 20 minutes, had England's best chance of the half but saw his close-range shot smothered by Switzerland keeper Yvon Mvogo just before the break.

In between those two chances Ibe should have done better than side-foot wide from 20 yards while Jordan Pickford somehow tipped Denis Zakaria's fierce drive onto the underside of the bar.

England were ahead within three minutes of the restart through Akpom but the goal owed much to the approach play from Gray.

The Leicester winger jinked his way into the box after a neat turn and put the ball on a plate for Akpom to convert from 10 yards.

James Ward-Prowse came within inches of doubling England's lead on 70 minutes with a curling free-kick which cannoned off the inside of the post and away to safety.

Akpom then saw an effort cleared off the line but Switzerland immediately broke and scored through Kamberi on the counter attack with 15 minutes remaining.

Ibe and Matt Grimes were both off target late on before the Liverpool winger received his second booking -- and belatedly a red card as the referee appeared to consult his notebook before brandishing it -- for a late challenge.