Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte has said he never makes any "major demands" about signings because he has always worked for clubs limited in the market by "economic sacrifices."
Conte was frustrated by Chelsea's failure to acquire Romelu Lukaku and Alex Sandro last summer, while Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ross Barkley also turned down moves to Stamford Bridge in the final days of the window.
Fernando Llorente joined Tottenham despite Conte's desire to bring him to Chelsea as back-up for Alvaro Morata, and tensions with the club hierarchy over recruitment fuelled speculation that Conte could leave at the end of the season.
But having revealed on Friday that he would not be the one to decide which players Chelsea buy in January or beyond, Conte implied that the Blues would not be prepared to spend big in any case.
"I'm not making any major demands [about transfers], also because my history says that I've never been satisfied with my demands," he told Sky Italia.
"In fact, I've always arrived at times when there have been economic sacrifices being made.
"I try to do my job and the club try to do theirs on the market. If somebody arrives, good; if not, then it's good anyway. I'll keep on working the way I am."
Chelsea announced a profit of £15.3 million in their financial results last month, underpinned by a profit of £69.2m on player trading thanks in large part to the club-record £60m sale of Oscar to Shanghai SIPG.
Conte brought his three-year spell in charge of Juventus to a surprise end in 2014, resigning amid reports of a breakdown in relations with the club's ownership over transfer policy.
Asked on Sky Italia about the vacancy with the Italy national team, he replied: "It's not the right time to talk about these things because it just creates misunderstandings, and that's the last thing I want."