<
>

Bianchi's father: Legal challenge about justice for Jules

Mark Thompson/Getty Images

The father of Jules Bianchi says he has "nothing to lose" as he takes legal action against the FIA, F1 and Marussia over his son's fatal crash in 2014.

Bianchi died on July 17 last year from injuries sustained in a head-on collision with a recovery vehicle during the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix. The FIA's investigation into the accident found "Bianchi did not slow sufficiently to avoid losing control" under the double yellow flags which were being waved at the time of his accident.

At this year's Monaco Grand Prix it was confirmed the Bianchi family have launched legal action against the sport and his son's former team. The statement released by the firm representing Bianchi said the family "feel the action of one or more of those parties, amongst others, may have contrivuted to Jules' fatal accident".

Phillippe Bianchi says preserving the memory of his son is the motivation behind the litigation.

"I have lost the single-most important thing in my life and have nothing to lose," he told CNN about the legal action. "I want the memory of Jules to be right. It's not possible for me and his mother to see people that say it was Jules' responsibility."

Bianchi's death has had an impact on safety in F1, altering start times of F1 races and also leading to the introduction of the Virtual Safety Car, which forces drivers to drive within a delta time while a minor incident is being resolved on track. Philippe Bianchi says that safety push must continue in the coming years.

"My motivation is just to make justice for Jules. I know that Jules is here and when he listens to people saying it's his responsibility, it's not possible. Formula One has to be more spectacular, sure.

"But more dangerous? It's stupid. You have to change and have more security, because my son is dead now."

Another big safety innovation this year has been the push for cockpit protection, with a decision on whether to implement the Halo device in 2017 expected before the end of July. Though the testing of this and the Red Bull Aeroscreen have often been mentioned alongside Bianchi's accident and death, the same FIA investigation found such devices would not have changed the outcome due to the "very large forces involved" in the Suzuka crash.