• Monaco GP - Race

Raikkonen questions stewards' priorities

ESPN Staff
May 25, 2014 « Fourth was the maximum possible - Alonso | Bianchi claims historic points finish for Marussia »
© Sutton Images
Enlarge

Kimi Raikkonen has questioned why the stewards at the Monaco Grand Prix did not make a bigger deal about his incident with Max Chilton that ruined his race.

Raikkonen was running third when the safety car was called out to clear Adrian Sutil's crashed Sauber at the Nouvelle Chicane. When lapped cars were allowed to repass, Chilton made contact with Raikkonen at Mirabeau causing a puncture and forcing the Ferrari to pit again.

Chilton was reprimanded for the incident, which was the same punishment that Raikkonen received for his clash with Kevin Magnussen towards the end of the race, but when Raikkonen was called to the stewards' office he felt more attention was given to the latter incident and the fact he missed the drivers' parade.

"Nobody talked about the safety car thing until I asked," he said before the reprimands had been published. "It's not very straightforward unfortunately with those things sometimes. Obviously that was the thing that destroyed the race, but clearly they were not very interested.

"They asked why I missed the drivers' parade, but that was because I did not feel very good. So they make a big story about that, but not the main things."

Despite running as high as third and pulling away from Daniel Ricciardo before the safety car, Raikkonen said he was still not happy with the way his Ferrari was handling.

"Small things went wrong and it made a massive difference. It was unfortunate things but I'm still unhappy with the car, the race was better than qualifying, but we still have a long way to go and to be where we want to be."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close